Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Bit of Philosphy

Roland Provost writes a great blog. Until recently he has written under
eBent Recumbent Cycling at ebent.wordpress.com.


Philosophy from Provost's Blog:

As Groucho said "These are my principles and if you don’t like them, I have others".

1. We are doing this for fun. Anything that prevents us from having fun should be avoided. If it isn’t fun why are we here?

1A. We are riding for the fun and adventure not to ride.

1B. We can ride anywhere; we are here for another reason.

2. The faster you go the less you see. I have seen birds of prey circling and ants building mounds as I ride in the mountains. I tell myself they find my bike interesting.

2A. A great trip is full of little discoveries. These discoveries happen when you stop to look.

3. Everything is easy if you aren’t in a hurry. I met an 80 year old woman who had just ridden from California to Maine, her first cross country ride. She walked over every railroad track and up every hill. She told me this and I believe she was right.

4. Remember The 7 Ps – Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance or A Ride that Sucks!

5. We plan so that we can understand the consequences of changing the plan.

6. The plan was made so that the Ride would be fun. If what we are doing now is fun, we are following the plan, no matter what the plan said.

7. Enjoy what is here and now. Tomorrow may bring rain and traffic, don’t rush towards them enjoy this moment.

8. Keep your head up and your eyes open. There is very little interesting on the road and we won’t see what is interesting if we don’t look.

9. In Of Human Bondage, Maugham said, "The meaning of the Life is in the Persian Rug." This is also true for Bicycle Tours.

No comments: